Tractor Farm and Family
alleyyooper

Bulding your own hive bodies (deeps)

alleyyooper

For starters I will say that building your own hives and other wooden ware only saves money in the shipping. Where I live I have to drive over 7 hours to reach a supplier, or pay the shipping rates.

For my deeps I buy 1"x12"x8' boards at Home Depot for $11.75 now. four of these boards makes 5 deeps. It takes me about an hour to cut all the parts out for five hive bodies and since I am retired I rather enjoy the wood working. There fore I count that time as relaxtion time much as some one does fishing for example.

For safety reasons I would not cut more than one part at a time.

Sizes here are for deeps. Others mediuims and shallows only differ in how tall they are.

(1. Cut the board down to a width of 9 5/8" keep the resulting strip of wood for other projects Like outer cover rims.

(2. Cut the hive bodies out, the sides are 19 7/8" long, the front and backs are 16 1/4"

(3. Install the dado blade on the table saw and cut the frame rest on the fronts and backs. The frame rest I cut 3/4" deep since I install a metal rest that raises it back up 1/8", leave a 3/8" outer lip.

Dadoblade.jpg

Framerest.jpg

:D Al

Edited by alleyyooper

alleyyooper

I built a dado sled to cut the finger joints used on the hive bodies. The two rails ride in the mider jig slots of the table saw.

Bottom view.

DadoJig1.jpg

Top view.

DadoJig2.jpg

Do a test cut to make sure you are cutting the slots 3/4" deep.

Stopblockandcheckingcut.png

(4. Start with the front and backs place a spacer block over the finger and cut all the first fingers (remember to cut both ends the same).

****Note always flip the panal 180degrees so the slots line up.Cuttingboxjoint2.jpg

(5. Remove the spacer then cut all the rest of the joints.

(6. Cut all the joints in the side panals ****Note always flip the panal 180degrees so the slots line up.

Otherendboxjoint.jpg

I do a test fit then drill all the holes for the nails. I also use glue in the assembly also.

Checkfit.jpg

Edited by alleyyooper

alleyyooper

To make the grab handles on the sides of the boxes?

You find the center of the hive body mark it on the hive and place a mark on the saw fence at the blades center. Count the turns to raise the blade to how deep you want the handles. Lower the blade set the hive body on the saw hold it tight and raise the blade, move the hive about an inch and the hand holds will be long enough. If you want the bottom rounded like the boughten ones chisle some of the wood away.

If you want the handles more like the boughten type you can buy a molding cutter head in that demention.