Tractor Farm and Family
Lamar Holland

new cab air cond system

Lamar Holland

I traded off a great Kubota L48TLB for a brand new Case DX45 cab. Trying to use the air conditioning made using the tractor impossible,, The heat generated from a non working air system is all of three times, if not more, hotter than the highest heat winter heat level offered on this tractor... Four hours of inspecting, tracing the electrical side of the system,, Became frustrated with it,, Called the dealer a second time and he reiterated an area that I just couldn't see,,, Opening a panel on the roof and it looks like an air box. Inside this simple air box is a temp gauge used to set the air in motion, Case Fedex'ed an new guage today with instructions of one hour removal-install... I won't get to it much before next week. I'll see how it is whenever I can get to it and make the change,

TFF Admin

Is the heater core co-located with the A/C evaporator? The A/C compressor is kicking in and working and the lines going upto the evaporator are getting cold?

In this heat, a tractor cab and no A/C is unbearable.

Lamar Holland

we traced all of it, The compressor never had any juice to make it kick on. The dealer says this is pretty much a common problem. Don't forget the tractor is really a New Holland painted a maroon paint, The temp guage is what sends the electric to the compressor to turn on,, So says the dealer,,

flman

Lamar, does it have two wires? If it does it is basically a SPST switch and you should be able to jump it out or rig a toggle to it until the new part comes in.

PS, I have been doing a lot of tagging on the forum lately if you have noticed?

Lamar Holland

part was ordered and came in by fedex. has 5 wires to it, and it is larger than you would think. It does go inside what I would call an air box, in a compartment on the roof,, The box is about 12" wide by 12 by 5 thick, give or take an inch. I have to finish a gable end of my barn and after that, I will tackle this air problem.

Lamar Holland

Got it all done late this afternoon,, Directions read one hour and it took me 40 minutes start to finish and finally the cab is cool with air conditioning,,,,

SHARTEL

Man, I'm glad that has a happy ending!

Nothing shakes ones confidence in a new machine more that problems 'out the gate'. Sounds like a permanent fix and you're good to go (comfortably).

Lamar Holland

Too bad I don't have a temp guage, (moveable one), that I could have registered the temp inside the cab. I swear it was all of three times hotter or more, than what the highest heat setting can produce.. This, is when I had the AC running,,,, Had to be 140 plus in that cab,, Last night after I was done, ambient air temp low 80's, maybe 82 or so, and the cab was 76 or so,,, Big, big difference,,

TFF Admin

Does the A/C make much of a noticable load on the engine? Just curious as to what if any effect the A/C has on performance of the hydraulics and other systems when cycling on and off.

Lamar Holland

I just finished four hours of brush hog mowing and yes,, a difference that is noticeable. The compressor kicks on nad drags the engine down a lot until I kick it up some,, Also, I'm guessing it burned at least 2 more gallons of fuel than normal and I've been cutting these fields all of 20 years,

chrpmaster

Glad to hear you have the problem fixed Lamar. Just curious why you traded the Kubota in on the Case. More power?

Lamar Holland

taxes on equipment. because the L48 is a commercial machine, it was taxed as such and became cost prohibitive. This case is a "true" non commercial, small farm tractor and in a different ball park,, It is also the reason that by this time next year, we will be able to sell here in CT and buy in MAss, of which we are only several hundred feet from

Lamar Holland

Chrpmaster

I just noticed you are from Ft Wayne. I was an owner - operator for NAVL agents 18 yrs in their electronic division,.,,.At the "old" offices next to International Harvester plant, there was a small motel. I was there one morning when the house keeping crew were screaming that a room were completely cleaned out and no trace of beds or anything else. Front office called NAVL and after sometime they determined the rooms were rented by several household haulers that came to the Fort for their retirement watch and send off,, Seems that two of them got to drinking heavy the night before and bet each other who was the better packer.. As it turned out, an old black man, who came up the ranks the hard way, was so good he packed all the rooms furniture including the then small tv, into the closet, So when housekeeping first opened the door , everything appeared stolen and gone. Of course NAVL sent a crew to make it right, They had bought the property where they are now, At least I think they still are,, at the time no building or design work was complete,, This had to happen aroung 75 or 6.

chrpmaster

Great story Lamar and yes IH has a long history here in Fort Wayne. My Dad retired from there after 43 years in 1986. He started there when he was 17 years old in 1944 right after high school. Of course he was drafted into the navy but his seniority continued so that after he got out in 46 he went straight back to work there. He worked his way up and retired as a master mechanic repairing fork lifts and all the other equipment used in the factory. The assembly lines closed in 1982 during the last "big" recession but because of his seniority he stayed on until 1986 as they closed down all the surrounding warehouses until finally he was one of the last dozen workers. At its high point it employed 10,500.

My older brother worked there for 7 years on the Scout assembly line until they closed that in 1981.

From 2002 til 2005 I rented a small office in the old factory complex. It was fun to have Dad stop by and show me all the buildings (most are now empty) and what they used to be used for. The current owners tore down some of the buildings that were in the worst shape but there is still 1.4 million sq ft of warehouse and manufacturing space there.

Currently Navl has their engineering and design people still here. They also have a large test track. They have grown that area to over 1300 employees. Now they are trying to consolidate all their employees in the Chicago area which is were the corporate headquarters are located. My younger brother works there and is dreading the move but is smart enough to not give up the good paying job.

Unfortunatly they are in the same situation as most of the auto makers. They have 4 retired workers for every current worker. This causes a huge financial drain on the company to pay pensions and health care for all the retirees. If it wasn't for the numerous military contracts Navistar would be forced to sell out to a large foreign company or would be closed. My Dad and a lot of other retired workers would get badly hurt if that happens so I hope for his sake that the company stays above water. But it is inevitable that they will be gone. They don't have a sustainable business without government contracts.