Tractor Farm and Family
alleyyooper

Has been a while since we have did a roll call. For 2018

alleyyooper

Nearly a year has gone by since I tried to see if any one is still alive here other than my self and possiably TFF

Yes my Brother is still alive and well, but I doubt he comes to this desert and sees if any one makes post here unless I prompt him with an E mail.

so if your alive and still can type post some thing to that effect here.

:D Al

TFF Admin

I'm still here kickin' Al. Although I have not been on regular, the wife and I have been overwhelmed with our apiary.  Seems like everyday we are working until sundown.   Not sure why no traffic comes here.  Mike has been busy fighting fires and no time to look after the software end of things.  I am considering making some changes but not sure how to go about it just yet.  

How are your bees doing this year Al?  

bontai Joe

Hi guys, It has been quite a while since I've popped in here. Life got busy AND complicated at the same time. My health took a dump, and I've had to retire on disability. Doc says I only have 40% use of my lungs. So a walk out to the truck to go shopping requires me to sit for 10 minutes in the truck to catch my breath before driving. My kidneys are acting up, but not too bad yet. And I have the marvelous pain of arthritis. This getting old crap ain't for the meek. Seems strange to wake up and not go to work. I worked at the same place for 31 years. I heard they hired 2 recent graduates to replace me, made me feel good to hear that it took 2 guys to do what I did.

Been working on my "bucket list". Took my wife to see the 50th anniversary tour of the Moody Blues (GREAT show!) Also went to see John Cafferty and the Beaver Brown Band, The Oak Ridge Boys, Diamond Rio, The Righteous Brothers, and some comedy from Carlos Mencia, and Rodney Carrington. I went to a firearms auction 2 hours north of home and got a revolver I've been looking for, for over 30 years. A Dan Wesson in .22LR with an extra barrel. I'm hoping to go to a gun auction this weekend to pick up a cheap "wall hanger" double barrel shotgun just because I want one to hang on a rack in the living room. I went to an Amish gun auction about a month ago. They must be a progressive group, because they use electricity to power lights and computers, and have on-line bidding. Sure was interesting. I ended up just buying lunch in their own cafeteria. One of the best hamburgers I've ever had and got home made apple pie for desert, too. Got my old Deere tractor fixed and running. That will be a plus this winter when moving snow.

So why am I suddenly hear you might be wondering? I gotta find something to occupy my time besides daytime TV. I'm sure I'm lowering my IQ every day I watch the crap that is on. Between Jerry Springer's inbred, 6 toed, mutant guests, and Maury Povitch proclaiming, "You are NOT the father!" and the gaggles of women sitting around tables clucking like old chickens about how bad everything is, I have decided that I'll try reacquainting myself with the forums I used to visit. Seems quiet here, but maybe I can poke around and create some interest.

alleyyooper

Good to hear from you Joe. Used to run into you all over the place once even on a long forgotten forum you were talking about ypour troy built tomahawk chipper shredder. 

I still have mine but it is powered by a HF predator Hemi engine now way better than the Te. engine was.

I have been retired 17 years now and often wonder how I ever found the time to go work for a pay check.

I walk my dogs 2 hours every morning and again in the evening to start and end my day. 

Found as I aged I didn't like draging the chains around so much to take the tractors to shows so switched over to an old car. Now that is the way to go to a show. Climb in the crushed val0re seats start the 307 olds engine up grab the stick on the right side of the stering coulum and placeing rthe pointer on D1 and going down the road. if it is hot turn the AC on and if cool turn the heat on.  Piddle with it all week, spend a hopur or so fussing over it at shows, I even use tire black on the tread at shows to make it stand out. 

Even think it pays for the effort, gotten several awards top 25, top 12, top 10 and a peoples choice 3 foot high trophy even.

I go every Sunday morning to shoot sporting clays with a friend unless there is a Sunday car show then many times we go saturday.

I spend time loading my own shot shells pistol and  rifle ammo. 

Aint got time to be sitting around watching that morning tv crap, or mid day for that matter.

I belong to a group of guys who make it their goal in life to rid the state of coyotes. A member got us started years ago when he was at the feed store getting grain ground for his cows and a group of farmers were talking about the coyote problems they were having. John through our name out there to take care of the problem. Found a hide buyer so we could sell the hides too.

John about 10 years younger than my self passed suddenly in June.

But before he went the group had grown to ten members, we have 38 farms we hunt coyotes on regular over 20 we can hunt small game on and 18 we can firearm deer hunt on. 

We throw a big wild game dinner in the summer for the group once haying is finished since john Eric and Dean hobby farmed.

Trick is to stay active pull the plug on that day time TV crap. 

Find a sportsman club and shoot some skeet trap or clays and when shooting clays WALK  the course.

Make some friends and shoot some coyotes.

:D            Al

TFF Admin

What a great way to start the day off trading posts with 2 old friends!  So good to see you both!  Sorry to hear about the health issues you are having Joe.  I guess I am the young whipper snapper hear at almost 61.  Still, I agree.  You have to stay active and find things you enjoy doing that bring a sense of fulfillment to you whenever possible.  The wife and I have shifted gears a bit with bee keeping after some serious hive losses last spring.  We got busy and did 50 splits.  We also began using a thermal varroa mite treatment device called the Mighty Mite Killer that works REALLY well.  So well in fact that we were able to build 46 nucleus colonies to add to our apiary.  For the first time we have reached a goal of over 100 hives.  

We try to get out and about a little more.  We just got back from the Tennessee Beekeepers Conference that was held in Cookeville, TN.  We got all of our honey bottled up.  We were very fortunate and blessed to harvest 44 gallons of honey which is not much for the 67 hives we had at the time but we were delighted to get any honey at all in view of the 50 splits we did.  

I have noticed that we have a serious bob cat problem.  I got the drop on him when he was lazily walking after some of our chickens and guinnies.  I got one shot off from my Glock 21.  I think I hit him but can't be sure.  I have not seen him since.  I have been eye balling a .224 Valerie full upper for my AR to make an addition to my predator hunter collection.  I still have a lot of catching up mowing and planting some seed for next year but hope to get the Fox Pro Prairie Blaster and my 22-250 out and do some coyote and bobcat hunting.  

I still have maintenance to perform on the Kubota RTVX 1100C, both of the Bad Boy AOSD 7200's, and other various small engines for mowers, log splitters, generators, etc.  

I too find myself watching MUCH less TV.  I record the shows I enjoy and flush the rest.  Most of it is brain washing propaganda anyway.  

This place has been pretty silent for the past several months.  I will have to take responsibility for a large part of that.  We have been so busy in our apiary that I have had little time to more than have a quick look each day.  I have 44 nucleus colonies to treat for varroa mites, finish out sugar syrup feeding, treat for tracheal mites, and insulate my hives and the girls are pretty much put up of the Winter.  Just some periodic checks for food supplies inside the hive and perhaps a OAV treatment until next Spring.  

We will also be starting the construction of our home.  We are beginning work on a rigid metal building much along the lines of a barndominium.  Here is a good example of what we are planning:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfS-E34gL4VhOXMtWPMehNA

Probably not as nice as Eric Cortina builds but still a nice home.  We have to rebuild the road and bridge into the farm, run the power lines, locate the building spot, well, septic, and drain fields first.  

I am so frustrated with not having enough shop and storage space to work on our equipment and keep our beekeeping equipment.  

Again, great to see the both of you.  We need to make this a regular thing!  :happy34:

TFF Admin

Being the youngin of the "old farts", what do you guys think of a new section on "Health and Medical Related Issues"?  

alleyyooper

Don't know about that as I find this place so low and void I tend to just buzz by to see if any one has made a new post in the last week.

As for health the VA decided I should try this new insulin 3 weeks ago. say I can adjust the dosages my self so it is one big cluster thingie. Crashing at mid day spoils the rest of the day and all I want to do is sleep.

SHEEEEEEE I don't care what they say I have been adjusting it my self and when she calls on Tuesday morning and wants the numbers from my log I read from an old log and suggest I might do better with this docage which I know is working.

:D        Al

TFF Admin

Speaking of which, I have a trip to the VA coming up next week myself.  I just wish the VA hospital was closer.  Driving to Nashville is getting worse and worse.  There are so many insane lunatics driving nowadays that I cringe at the thought of driving to Nashville. :smilie9:

alleyyooper

We are getting some clinics in bigger towns. Flint is where I go to thre Clinc, always drive my truck. Should get plates for my go to hell truck I some times think.

Really should get a bigger go to hell truck I thing like a cab over Pete.

:D    Al