Tractor Farm and Family
alleyyooper

Our Buick spent the winter in the beauty shop.

alleyyooper

Our Buick spent the winter in the beauty shop. There were several issues with the paint from setting out side for 5 years with no care.

Biggest issue was the paint was cracked and pitted from age and settin g in the summer sun and never being polished.

k1jpXsQ.jpgthere were a few other issues too.

h6CtK8O.jpg

Surface rust on the right rear quarter.

3xftnWK.jpg

the paint stripe wasn't paint at all but a tape.

TuH9E4B.jpg

Paint was peeling from the right upper quarter where it meets the roof.

132Ep7S.jpg 

There was a scratch like it had been keyed at one time and the touch up paint was coming off.

mrr8pUs.jpg

UUNxSw6.jpgThe Emblems were also in bad shape.

OF9w2XH.jpg

:D          Al

alleyyooper

Yea seems the site got fixed my post is working.

:D         Al

alleyyooper

We searched all spring 2017 for some one to paint our car. thought we had some one who said couldn't get to it till September. When September roll around we had not got a call from him as he said he would do. Here we are into mid  May and he still hasn't given us a call.

So after September we started our search again. At car shows one name kept popping up and then a card with a phone number was given to us. Called early Oct. for an appraisal appointment and got one in a couple days. Drove up and got the appraisal and a date to do the job is we so decided.

One thing we didn't do was get every thing in writing a mistake on my part. We also delivered the car at the end of Oct even though he was going to start on it till November. that was no problem as I was getting ready flor deer hunting and would not have to drop the car off while I was doing that.

We also stayed away from the place till January 2018 when I asked if they had stripped the car so I could get the power antenna off to repair. Said it was ready to pick up and return the next day for reassembly.

Pictures of the process had been agreed to but we have gottn none. I do have a few I took when I got the antenna and returned it.

Left side in the first sanding primer coat.

AD8JyDO.jpg

Trunk lid being block sanded first primer coat.

fytRGgO.jpg

Right side with the first sanding  priner coat.

aMHA9vv.jpg

Right side with the final epoxy primer coat over the clean metal DOOR.

TT68kPm.jpg

6s1Nk5j.jpg

Clean this engine compartment.

y1iqlzc.jpg

G4QDZ1h.jpg

It was finished in mid March but the body side mouldings were on back order because they were gray.

:D          Al

alleyyooper

We got the call the mouldings were in and being installed. Made the appointment to pick it up April first.

As soon as they rolled it out of the buffing shop I was awe struck it was so beautiful.

The hood sines now as does every thing else.

mgD9TGG.jpg

XFC6Iww.jpg

LpzgvsZ.jpg

The body side mouldings are a match to the stock ones except no peeling chrome.

3LrYIuv.jpg

The Emblems were painted too.

glrvoyy.jpg

The strip now is painted on.

gprCMyj.jpg

Our first car show 2018.

x_VHT4_Ad.jpg

u_VXs_IXy.jpgimage.thumb.png.bece97dcc2e772d037a8e6875a702ed4.png

:D             Al

TFF Admin

Nice!  :happy34:  Better than new.  I am considering doing something like this with my truck.  She is getting long in the tooth.....almost 17 years old.  Not meaning to be nosey, but what does a job like that cost?  The cost of a new truck would be over double what I paid for mine new.  I only have about 87,000 miles on it so it is just getting broken in.  Real nice looking car there Al!  :toast:

alleyyooper

Cost depends on what you want and who is doing the work.

Our estmates went from $4500.00 from the fellow who we assume backed out to $17,000.00 who must have thought we were rich city folks.

If your trucks body is still OK and it runs good it is far cheaper to do paint by at least a 5th of the cost of a new truck last time I looked.

:D        Al

alleyyooper

The Buick has two coats of epoxie primer over the bare metal to start. Then four sanding coats of primer that were block sanded till deemed smooth enough. One base color coat of each color and block sanded again. Once that first coat was sanded they decided it was ready so three coats of the base colors were applied, then four coats of clear. Was hand buffed our once and a machine buffing to finish it off.

New door rubbers were installed as the old ones were bad to start and had to be removed to paint the inside door edges & the jams.  I had removed the trunk rubber for them before I took it up to the shop. 

I will stress get every thing you want in writeing, and I meen every thing. I am totaly happy with all aspects of the job we had gotten the estmate for all verbal. But we had talked about pictures along the way, chrome stripped off, old paint stripped off to bare metal and the different primer coats. We didn't get a one picture of the process other than what I took. 

:D              Al