Tractor Farm and Family

TFF Admin

I purchased a Mitey Mite Killer at last year's Tennessee Beekeeper's Conference.  It claims to kill mites, hive beetles, and tracheal mites by heating up the hive to 105 degrees for about 180 minutes.  

The temperatures outside need to be above 70 degrees to use it so I have not had the opportunity to test it out yet.  I plan to test it out in June and will post my results, comments, and impressions.  

https://www.beehivethermalindustries.com/product/10in-frame/

https://www.beehivethermalindustries.com/

TFF Admin

I finished treating my hives at the end of July.  I have posted some pics to show the immediate mite and small hive beetle kills.  There were even more mites after 3 days showing up on a mite drop board below the screened bottom board.  What was particularly surprising was the brood explosion that occurred about 3 weeks after the treatment.  Many of my double deep hives had 8 to 10 frames of brood and in more than a few cases more.  The other thing that stood out to me was the huge improvement of the queen's brood pattern and how she was now pretty much filling up each brood frame to the max.  Previous to the treatment, the populations were going sideways and in some case going down.  Almost ALL of the brood frames that I inspected showed a very spotty brood pattern which is a strong indication for varroa mite infestation.  See below:

IMG_20180712_191711998.jpg

TFF Admin

I will have to get back to this thread once I reduce the size of the pictures I am trying to upload or make some format changes.