Tractor Farm and Family
TFF Admin

Need a bigger tractor!

TFF Admin

I am thinking about buying a bigger tractor in the foreseeable future.  Not sure if I want to stick with a compact tractor or move up to a full sized AG tractor.  My John Deere 4410 has done a tremendous & excellent job but now that our apiary operation is growing we have come up against and exceeded the limits of the tractor a few times loading and unloading pallets.  In particular, the 4410 struggles and just barely lifts the 1,500 lb. totes of Mann Lake Ultra Bee dry feed.  It is dangerous in that I have had to get the truck driver of family members to stand of the back of the tractor where the pto tiller is mounted (that is about the heaviest counter weight I have) to "lift" (more like barely drag) the tote off the truck.  The 4410 can barely lift the tote about a 1/4 to 1/8 inch and then I have to back it off the truck.  Setting the load down tips the back of the tractor up in the air so I have learned to back the load out of the truck just enough to clear the rear dock bumper and then lower it.  Once the lowering starts, it is a very controlled soft crash of the pallet that the truck blocks from going all the way down so I can lower it in increments.  NOT a good way to do this!  Sometimes you have to improvise with what you have.  Lifting pallets of cinder blocks has also been a problem that requires manually unloading the pallet of all the block except the last 2 rows on the pallet. 

I am thinking that a 4700, 4710, or later version might be enough tractor to handle the Ultra Bee dry feed totes but NOT the pallets of cinder blocks.  Perhaps something larger like a 5310, 20, 30 or a 5500 series John Deere?  My father has a John Deere 4250 MFWD with FEL and other attachments but I am not sure if he is ready to let go of it yet plus the cost of shipping would be somewhat costly.  This may be an option but not putting my eggs in the basket just yet. 

Any suggestions? 

flman

I would agree, time to upgrade to a full size, what is the point in taking another small step upward. You might want to look into something that is not brand new with a bunch of brand new emission crap tacked on the cost, plus you would have to pay to get a new tune to disable it.

TFF Admin

The time for that tractor upgrade is a gettin' closer.  I am down to my last 30 or so 5 gallon buckets of Ultra Bee dry feed.  For the time being, I have purchased a set of forks that mount on the rear 3 pt. hitch which can lift MUCH more than the front end loader forks.  It will do for now and carry me through a little longer.  One of my neighbors purchased a John Deere tractor about a year ago and may want to sell it.  I may just wait until he offers it for sale.  Can't remember the exact year and model but I believe it was somewhere between 75 and 85 hp.  That should cover all of my needs.

TFF Admin

I went back and asked my neighbor what model his tractor was.  As it turns out, it is a John Deere 5056E MFWD.  It has a FEL and a few other various attachments.