Tractor Farm and Family
TFF Admin

Apiary Report June 2016

TFF Admin

It has been a good while since I have posted in the Apiary section.  I have been VERY busy in my apiary and just have not had the time to post. 

In late February I planted about 5 acres of various honey bee friendly wild flowers mixed with Sainfoin & Yellow Sweet Clover.  In late March I had a local farmer plant 20 acres of Sainfoin in one of our pastures.  Still waiting for the coop to bring the lime trucks as the pasture needs about 3 tons+ to the acre of lime to reach the soil pH of 8.0.  I will have to call them again.

Last season we reached a high of 51 hives.  Going into the Fall we began losing a few hives here and there in spite of treating our hives with oxalic acid vapor.  I treated them again last November and again in December yet the hive losses got worse.  We lost almost half.  In early Spring the hives began building up really nice and had very large populations and then in early March I again treated them with oxalic acid vapor.  They continued to do well until about 10 days later I treated them prophylactically with methol for tracheal mites.  Almost immediately it seemed like the hives collapsed.  I initially thought it was the menthol so I removed it after the second day.  The hives did not recover.  Long story short we lost EVERY hive with the exception of 1 by the end of this May.   

In the 3rd week of April I contacted a commercial beekeeper and bought 6 migratory pallets (36 double deep hives) of commercial production double deep bee hives. I immediately split out 2 frames of brood and 2 frames of honey/pollen to build 36 5 frame nucleus colonies to which I added 1 empty frame of drawn out comb or foundation.  I ordered queens to queen all of the nucleus colonies and of the 36, 31 made it and I combined the 5 with other nucs.  In early May I purchased locally 6 nucleus colonies of "treatment free" bees to add to the genetics in the apiary.   In the 3rd week in May, I again grafted 2 frames of brood and 2 frames of honey/pollen to build another 36 nucleus colonies and added queens. 

Yesterday I went through all of the hives with the exception of the most recent nucs to ensure they had a queen.  Talk about a LONG, HOT, SWEATY day!!!!!  I had 14 queens left over from the order of 20 so I used these to build 6 two frame "queen castle" hives.  Today or tomorrow I will go through the newest 36 nucs to ensure all are queen right and use these queens if needed, otherwise I will put them in the "queen castle" hive which require only 1 frame of brood and 1 frame of honey/pollen. 

Altogether we are sitting at 125 hives if my count is correct. 

The wife and I have been working our butts off.  She likes to paint so she has been painting hive boxes & related woodware while I am working the hives & keep the grass cut and trimmed in the Apiary. 

We have 100 more nuc boxes on order to build out and paint to add a 2nd nuc box to each of the nucleus hives.  Once they are filled out by the bees, we will split each nuc. 

If the nectar flow continues to hold out, we plan to split each of the 36 commercial double deep production hives and the 67+ nucleus colonies then I will treat ALL of the hives with Apivar for the next 6 to 10 weeks while they are building up their empty 2nd brood box. 

Once all of the hives have filled out their 2 story boxes it will be time to transfer the nucs to 10 frame hives and add a 3rd deep box to the now 72 commercial production hives. 

The 6 nucs of "treatment free" bee hives are already on their second deep and working on the 3rd deep.  Every hive that fills out its 3rd deep box will then get honey supers and the Apivar removed. 

We are managing primarily for bee hive production but expect to get some honey (just not sure how much).  Again IF all goes well and the nectar flow holds out we have an optimistic goal 200+ hives.

We learned an painful lesson about having too many hives so close together and are spreading out our hives around the farm.

In August I will be planting 50 lbs. of Dicon Radish for a late Summer/early Fall foraging treat for the bees. 

Today the FEDEX truck will be delivering 3,000 frames that will be going in all of the hives once they are transferred to 10 frame hives. 

:)

TFF Admin
1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Holy cow what a lot of work...

Tell me about it!  Today I went through 31 nucleus hive double deeps checking for being queen right and stealing enough brood frames & honey/pollen frames to build another 5 queen castle hives.  I found one nucleus hive that needed a queen as well.  The brings me to 129 hives.  Now that my Senco screw gun & staple gun came in, it is back to building out the 100 nucleus colony boxes and getting those on the 36 nucs I just built.  Mann Lake has a big sale on the deep and medium boxes and I think I will probably order 162 (3 pallets) of those to have enough deep boxes on hand for moving all of the nucs into 10 frame hives.  I still have about 1,000 frames to build leftover from previous years that use wax foundations.  I will also have to start cooking sugar syrup soon to feed the bees or at least observe if they take it.  I need to keep the queen laying.  I have already put out 10 Mann Lake Pro Feeders and put out about 60 lbs. of Ultra Bee dry feed.  The girls are consuming it at an amazing rate.  I will have to put out an 11th feeder to make sure they are all getting enough.  Once the double deep hives are all split, I have to install 4 fifty packs of Apivar to treat for mites for the next 6 to 10 weeks.  Then I will put the honey supers on in hopes of getting a little bit of late Summer honey once I remove the Apivar.  We didn't harvest honey until well after November last year because of such a late nectar flow.

alleyyooper

Really a costly operation considering the price for a 3 pound package or a 5 frame nuc. I don't have that kind of money so I treat my hives spring and fall with Miteaway II and Fumigillan.

:D   Al

TFF Admin
20 minutes ago, alleyyooper said:

Really a costly operation considering the price for a 3 pound package or a 5 frame nuc. I don't have that kind of money so I treat my hives spring and fall with Miteaway II and Fumigillan.

:D   Al

Definitely right about that.  I had not planned on nor intended to buy bees like that but when all of my hives went south, it was either buy some bees and start over or no bees. 

It has been really hot here that past week.  Well into the 90's everyday.  The girls went through over 60 lbs. of Ultra Bee dry feed in about 5 days.  I put out another 70 lbs. last night.  I will try test feeding sugar syrup this week and observe if they really hit the syrup hard.  If they do, I will be feeding Ultra Bee and sugar syrup until some rain gets more flowers blooming.