Tractor Farm and Family
alleyyooper

My impresstions of mite away quick strips.

alleyyooper

No shims needed, no spacer either. Just a good respirator for fumes , a pair of rubber gloves and sissors.

Started our spring mite treatments yesterday with the mite a way quick strips. I can see where some one would think the wraps were supposed to come off the gel packs. Some of them would start to unwrap them selves as I seprated them to place in the hive.

Wearing my respirator I never got a whiff of the fumes. Kare how ever got to close at least once and said it was awful stuff. to smell.

I found out at the first bee yard I need sissors as I hadn't opened the pail to look at them. Lucky for me I had a pair of good tin snips in my tool box that worked great to open the packs up. I also should have taken some sort of trash container to put the empty packs in.

It started clouding up about 4:00 as we finished one yard. We decided to go home and do those before it rained because the remaining yard was a small one at this time.

We got 3 done in the front yard then it started sprinkling, I did the 4th and last one in the front in a slight rain.

Did the last 6 hives in the back yard before the rain day before yesterday morning and the last out yard in the afternoon during a break in the rain.

Finished with that.

I like these quick strips. I have used Check Mite, Apastain and the old mite away pads. All had to be removed and some times it would be freezing at that time. Never did it my self but many bee keepers left them in the hives all winter. The reduced streght of the Check Mite and Apastain caused the mites to devlope a resistance.

From every thing I have read and experts I have talked to the Mite away pads and quick strips are not like that.

:D Al

TFF Admin

I still have one case of Mite Away pads left. Gotta use that up and then I will give the MAQS a try.

Thanks for the review. Sounds like they work just as good if not better and are MUCH easier to use.

Last season I used Hop Guard. It seems to work well but is a HUGE pain in the ass to use. As I have already posted in another thread, I am trying out fogging with FGMO this season.

TFF Admin

I used MAQS for the first time this Fall and I can say that they are VERY strong especially if used in warmer temperatures even beneath the 85 degree limit.  The bees DO NOT like them but gradually adjust.  Over the space of a week, the strips pretty much off gas and air out to the point that they have almost no smell at all.  I put my MAQS on at 78 degrees which dropped into the 50's within a few hours and stayed there.  I initially noticed a fair amount of dead bee larva on the landing board which the bees quickly cleaned up.  Over all the hives seemed to bounce back and are pretty strong.  The critical point of using MAQS is that not only does it kill phoretic varroa mites, it kills reproductive varroa mites under the capped brood as well.  This is VERY important especially going into the Fall and Winter.