Tractor Farm and Family
TFF Admin

How to conduct a controlled burn and not burn the woods down

TFF Admin

A short article on "controlled burning". My experience with this technique is that the term "controlled burn" is a misguided euphamism at best and a horrible opportunity to create dissaster at worst.

I am sure this may vary by region and be HIGHLY dependent upon the amount of "fuel" load on the forest floor. When done correctly and successfully this CAN be a very productive tool for foresters........HOWEVER.......do your homework. Set your controlled burn up the RIGHT way. Have fire fighting equipment on site if at all possible, have fire lanes already cut. Have as many sprayer/fire fighting equipped people on the fire perimeter as possible. Conduct the burn when the weather conditions are optimal. Cross your fingers and hope for the best......oh yeah......be extra sure your liability insurance policy is adequate and up to date. :gen17::D

http://www.grandviewoutdoors.com/deer-hunting/articlecontent/4/2013/4834/how-to-conduct-a-controlled-burn-and-not-burn-the-woods-down

jsborn

In my area of the world fire is a yearly thing. Most every one burns off their fields in the early spring, say around March. I don't know of many people that don't burn off their tree farms about this time of year. As a matter of fact if you have long-leaf pines in the US tree programs you are required to burn at least every 5th year I believe. Most people that have smaller acreages say in the 50 to 60 acre size will either use the Forestry service to burn or have all their neighbors help with containment.

The Forestry service here will come plow breaks , schedule times , set the fire and manage the burn for a small fee. Along with this comes the assurance that if something does happen you will be on the lower end of the lawsuit list and the US Forestry service will be the main targets. (good luck winning that case).:cool44::happy34:

TFF Admin

In my area, the terrain is pretty rough with steep ridges and hollows that have not been burned in probably over a 100 years. There is NO such thing as a controlled burn here.

The forestry dept. will come out and for a fee assist with the burn, cutting fire breaks and having fire fighting equipment on site but even then, it is nearly impossible to contain the fire in many cases as the old debry and brush on the forest floors is very heavy and caused the fire to burn VERY hot and grow out of control quickly.

Mopar1973Man

Same here everything is either up or down nothing flat. I'd love to burn the hillside off behind the house but I know that would be a complete mistake and have a serious mess.