Tractor Farm and Family
Deberosa

Giving permission to hunt?

Deberosa

Has anyone done this? I have two very responsible guys who I want to allow to hunt my place. We walked the property tonight so they knew where everythign was. I know I need to give them something that says they have persmission, anything else I need to consider?

They are going to bow hunt.

Mickey
Has anyone done this? I have two very responsible guys who I want to allow to hunt my place. We walked the property tonight so they knew where everythign was. I know I need to give them something that says they have persmission, anything else I need to consider?

They are going to bow hunt.

Have never done anything like this but to just be safe, I'd put a few things down on paper and get their sigs.

* They're responsible for any damage to person or property.

* You're not responsible for any personal injury to them while on your property.

* They acknowledge you've informed them as to where they can hunt and surrounding neighbors property.

Ya hate to have to do things like this but in today's world I think it is a necessity.

TFF Admin

Debbie, I manage a VERY large acreage of our land for hunt leasing. I require each hunt club to have hunt lease liability insurance. This covers them and YOU if they do something stupid that you could be sued for up to $2,000,000. DO NOT allow them to hunt without it. It is not that expensive.

My hunt clubs get hunt lease insurance through Alabama Forest Owner's Association (AFOA) it costs about 13 cents an acre plus a $43 landowner processing fee and a $28 dollar hunt club processing fee.

http://www.afoa.org/PDF/2011HLLI.pdf

In you area, try checking with Quality Deer Management Association or just do a Google search for hunt lease insurance.

I also ANYONE who comes on our property to sign a liability waiver. I can email you a copy of what I use and you can tailor it to what you need.

I tell all the hunt club members that I am death on alcohol or drug use with firearms or any alcohol or drug abuse.

I am assuming you know these folks WELL and have vetted them accordingly. All it takes is one lapse in judgement with a high powered center fire rifle and they as well as YOU can be sued. You could loose everything.

I also carry an additional $2,000,000 liability for myself on a separate policy.

Another thing I make CLEAR is that ATV's are for getting to the hunt area and doing legitimate hunt club related tasks........NOT joy riding. They are required to stay on existing trails, and no cutting down trees without my permission.

I also require that they report any chemical or other spills to me immediately.

This may seem like it is very restrictive but it is not really......it is for their benefit as well as mine.

For just a couple of guys hunting occasionally, your farm policy may cover this. You will have to check to verify what if any coverage for this is on your policy and what dollar amount is specified. Since they will be bow hunting, the risk is substantially lower. If this is the case, you can probably get by OK with a well written liability waiver and a written and signed hunt permission form in the event they are checked by the game warden.

D-M

What i was a kid, i could take my shotgun and walk for miles in any direction without problems... Times sure have changed, now i don't like letting anyone who isn't family hunt on my property.... and i don't hunt on anyone elses... We live in sad times!!

DM

TFF Admin
What i was a kid, i could take my shotgun and walk for miles in any direction without problems... Times sure have changed, now i don't like letting anyone who isn't family hunt on my property.... and i don't hunt on anyone elses... We live in sad times!!

DM

Trust me.......I have my moments dealing with folks who can't read and have no respect for other's property. Just last week some A holes tried to pull out a brand new forestry gate.

D-M

My neighbor down the road a ways, got up in the morning and saw his cattle were out. He drove down there and someone had stole hit new gates durning the night!

It's getting like the "ghetto" out in the country!

DM

TFF Admin

It is that way all across the country D-M. I am beginning to believe that the only thing that will turn this around is a massive culling of those who are a disease on society and morality. MUCH easier said than done though.