Tractor Farm and Family
Deberosa

Controversy around LYME Disease

Deberosa

The Roanoke Times is publishing a 3 part series on Lyme Disease. It's an interesting read because now I know why my dogs can get much better treatment for the disease, including a vaccine than any human can get.

I have a good on-line friend who has this disease and it's horrible. He is in my thoughts often. When is he better I hope he joins us here.

Lyme disease is a real threat - both my dogs got it within months of arriving in VA. We got Guineas and are very careful in any tall weeds. The dogs all get treatments as well as the cats to keep off fleas and ticks.

The issue is political! Doctors are prevented from correctly treating the disease because it's not recognized as a disease in Humans at this point. Here is part 1 of the article:

http://blogs.roanoke.com/lyme/2010/12/17/salvos-launched-in-lyme-dispute/

bontai Joe

My brother in NJ has been treated twice for Lyme, his wife once. He had problems the second time he got infected because the doc decided no one could catch it twice. Thankfully he got a second opinion that also caused him to get a new family doc.

Deberosa

According to the article it's not that the doctors don't want to treat for this, it's that it's not in the prescribed treatment guidelines they are forced to follow for legal and liability reasons. If they go outside of that either insurance won't pay or the person can sue if something goes wrong and they won't be covered. It's all a political battle rather than trying to cure something!

And they wonder what is wrong with the health system!

chrpmaster

My sister and her family had lots of problems with this Connecticut and Rhode Island. Part of their problem is the over population of deer in the area. Of course the tree huggers would never dream of shooting Bambi.